Bicycle Accident Attorney in Tacoma, WA
Even though bicycling comprises only 1 percent of the trips taken each day in the United States, per the National Household Travel Surveys, cyclists face a much higher risk of crash-related injury and deaths than occupants of motor vehicles. In 2010, more than half a million cyclists had to visit the emergency room for injuries, and more than 800 cyclists were killed, reports the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
When cyclists are involved in a motor vehicle accident, the chances of catastrophic and fatal injuries can be high. Even though Washington has rigid traffic laws in place to keep everyone on the road safe, not everybody follows the rules, and thousands of people are injured or killed as a result.
If you or a loved one were injured in a bike accident that was the result of another party’s negligence or careless actions, speak to a local bicycle accident lawyer immediately to discuss your legal options.
Types of Bicycle Accident Cases
Bicycle accidents can be attributed to any number of causes and contributing factors, such as:
- accidents caused by drunk driving or speeding;
- car doors opening in front of cyclists;
- turning accidents in which the driver didn’t watch for cyclists;
- road rage accidents;
- pedestrians struck by buses and other municipal vehicles;
- drivers failing to give right of way;
- cyclists failing to obey traffic rules;
- street and bicycle path defects;
- bike defects that caused an accident; and
- drivers texting and driving.